Some traveling tips for Canadians to know before visiting Spain:

For Canadian tourists, Spain has always been one of the most attractive European countries. The slow-pace daily lifestyle, (also called as siesta) the unique nightlife and the amazing atmosphere of cities like Madrid, Barcelona and Seville (just to mention some) have always charmed Canadian tourists of all ages.


Food and Accommodation

In Spain, Canadian citizens can enjoy the cheaper costs of accommodation, transportation and food compared to other European Countries.

The cost of accommodation can be really variable and spike up especially in the big cities, but it's always possible to find good hotels or private condos for decent prices.

Food is also really affordable, Spanish cuisine offers a variety of snacks (bocadillos and tapas) that can fit any budgets.


Places to visit in Spain:

Right now Spain is a very multicultural country with a multi-ethnic background. During the centuries of Spanish history, an incredible melting pot of both Catholic and Islamic culture created many world-recognized monuments such as Alhambra in Grenada, which is also a Unesco heritage site.

For all Canadian tourists who want to discover a real Spanish experience, you have to mention the big event of Running of the Bulls both in Corrida and Pamplona, which also mesmerized Ernest Hemingway in the past.

Madrid is one of the most elegant capitals in Europe. The Spanish capital has plenty of museums (the most important one is Museo Del Prado). The city is constantly buzzing and full of activities. The inhabitants of Madrid (Madrileños) also enjoy late night gatherings just like people in Barcelona.

Spain is not only famous for its monuments and traditions but also for the beautiful sightseeing.

Costa del Sol, and The Canary and Balearic Islands have ideal weather conditions for almost the whole year around. Last but not least, for all those travelers looking for fun and relaxation at the same time, Ibiza has been an iconic destination for that purpose for thousands of tourists since the late 60’s.

If you love winter sports, Spain also offers multiple activities for this in Sierra Nevada in Europe's most southern ski resort. For trekking lovers, the visit to the Picos de Europa, (Peaks of Europe) a range of mountains located across Asturias, Cantabria, and Castile and Leon is a must. The rumor says that this area got its name because they were the first mountains visible to ships sailing from America.


Alhambra palace and fortress in Granada


If you are a Canadian tourist, will you a need a Visa to go to Europe?

Canadian citizens traveling to Spain for tourism do not need a visa as long as they spend 90 days or less in an Schengen Country. This is because Canadian passport holders are generally visa-exempted and for this reason, they can enter the Schengen area as long as the duration of stay does not exceed 90 days within a 6-month period. For longer duration of stay, an Schengen Visa is mandatory. The Visa is issued directly by the Government of Spain. If you intend to visit the country for more than 90 days you should contact the local embassy and ask for further information about how to apply for a visa.

There will be a change that has an impact for all the Canadian tourists from 2021 once the European Union is planning to initiate an electronic travel authorization, which is pretty similar to our eTA.
All Canadians planning to visit an Schengen Area Country have to have this electronic visa.

The difference between an Schengen Visa and ETIAS travel authorization is that an Schengen visa is valid only inside the Spanish borders but ETIAS can be used during its validation period also to cross the borders with other Schengen Countries.


Applying for ETIAS Visa

Tourist traveling in a group must all get a valid travel authorization. There are some requirements for having an authorization:

Canadian Passport:
As a Canadian citizen, you will need to double check that the validity of your passport extends 90 days after your arrival in Spain.

Proof of funds:
You will need to bring documentation that proves you have sufficient finances to support your entire stay in the region.

Travel Itinerary:
You will need to provide a reason and documentation of your travel to the region. This documentation should support your travel itinerary.

Other info:
You might also need to show additional entry documents depending on the countries you will be traveling to. Be sure to investigate each destination country and any additional paperwork required.


Revocation or Annulment of ETIAS Travel Authorization

The Etias Travel Authorization is valid for a course of 3 to 5 years (this is currently under discussion and can be altered) and it can be denied at anytime. Because of this, it’s highly recommended to check the validity of the authorization for each traveler if traveling in a group before the departure date. If the validation is expired, it can result in a denied boarding on the day of traveling.


Immigration and Custom

When entering in Spain, you will still need to show your passport and go through customs. If your entry is permitted, your passport will be stamped at the customs with the date indicating your arrival date into Spanish territory.

When your entrance is clear and accepted, you will have free access to move within the Schengen region as long as you do not spend more than 90 days within a 180-day period.